Kill Ana is a graphic novel about my best friends eating disorder, co-written with her.
When I googled my best friend’s BMI, search results said ‘Death Imminent’.
What should you do when someone you love has an anorexia?
What shouldn’t you do?
What CAN you do?
Excerpt from my current project Kill Ana: A Graphic Novel
The eating disorder has the highest mortality rate of any mental illness and we still don’t have a ‘cure’, or enough literature about it.
Most people I know still consider it an ‘extreme diet’, even though there are 30 million sufferers in the US alone according to the National Eating Disorder Association, and 1.6 million in the UK, where the story is based.
This story will add another perspective to a much misunderstood, underestimated and easily dismissed mental illness.
The working title Kill Ana: A Graphic Memoir is derived from the words that I glimpsed in Ella’s notebook when we first met. It’s a reference to when I was first introduced to the problem called Anorexia, commonly nicknamed ‘Ana’ for short and our attempts to get rid of it from our lives.
Other graphic memoirs about Eating Disorders:
- Katie Green’s Lighter Than My Shadow
- Nadia Shivack’s Inside Out: Portrait of an Eating Disorder
- Davis & Ketner’s Ink in Water
My work will be coming from the perspective of the supporter, co-written with the sufferer of the mental illness, in order to bridge the gap in understanding between them, for the benefit of both.
Other graphic memoirs about mental illness from the perspective of the supporter :
- Sarah Leavitt’s Tangles: A Story About Alzheimer’s My Mother & Me
- Darryl Cunningham’s Psychiatric Tales
- Philippa Perry’s Couch Fiction
Sign up to my monthly mailing list below for:
- a link to the first chapter of my graphic novel in progress Kill Ana
- art, comics, film, TV & music related recommendations
- updates on my work